The United States continues its “unwavering support” to the Ukrainian army, underline the diplomats.
Photo of the U.S. Embassy in Kiev
The Ukrainian armed forces have received nearly $ 8 million in aid from the United States aimed at improving command, control and communications.
âThe United States continues to steadfastly support the Ukrainian armed forces with $ 7.85 million in command and control, communications, vehicle parts, medical components and tactical equipment in the latest delivery of security assistance totaling more than $ 2 billion since 2014. ” U.S. Embassy in Kiev tweeted on Tuesday April 27.
US Defense Assistance to Ukraine: Background
- The US Department of Defense on March 1 announced a $ 125 million aid package for Kiev as part of its Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.
- A Pentagon statement said the package includes two armed Mark VI patrol boats to help Ukraine “patrol and defend its territorial waters.”
- The aid is just the first part of a larger $ 275 million package approved by Congress for fiscal 2021.
- On April 21, the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee (SFRC) passed the Ukraine Security Partnership Law to increase military assistance to the country, which includes the supply of lethal weapons.
- The bill was passed by the committee with bipartisan support. It brings annual US military aid to Ukraine to $ 300 million, including with lethal weapons.