Ukraine government

Ukraine: Government and rebels reach new ceasefire agreement | News | DW

The Ukrainian government and pro-Russian separatists have reached an agreement for a comprehensive ceasefire in eastern Ukraine, the president’s office confirmed on Wednesday.

A “comprehensive and comprehensive ceasefire” will be implemented in the region from Monday, the presidential office in Kiev said.

Representatives of pro-Russian separatists had earlier announced the deal, the latest in about 20 unsuccessful attempts at a comprehensive ceasefire in eastern Ukraine.

The conflict between Ukrainian troops and Russian-backed rebels in Donetsk and Lugansk, near the Russian border, has claimed more than 13,000 lives since 2014, when Moscow took control of the Ukrainian Crimean peninsula and supported the rebellion in the east.

Major fighting ended after a ceasefire in 2015, but periodic clashes continue to kill Ukrainian soldiers, separatists and civilians.

Ceasefire meets summit demands

“The breakthrough (…) is the result of the effective work of the Ukrainian delegation with the support of our international partners in Berlin and Paris,” President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s office said in a statement.

The conclusion of a ceasefire agreement was a prerequisite for a new Ukrainian crisis summit. German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron spoke of bringing Zelenskiy and Russian President Vladimir Putin together.

Separatist groups said that in addition to the ceasefire, the parties agreed to ban the use of drones and the positioning of heavy weapons in built-up areas, measures intended to protect civilians living along the 450 kilometers long (280 miles long) from the front. Retaliation is only allowed at the highest level of command, the groups said.

Kiev did not confirm the additional agreements.

kp / nm (dpa, Reuters)


Source link

LEAVE A RESPONSE

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *